Tonight TJ and I embraced our cheap side and indulged in FREE DAY at the Indiana State Fair. I got in free because I hunted down an Indy Star paper last Monday with a free coupon and TJ took advantage of free Indiana State Employee day! So we were happy to have saved $16 on tickets and spend it all on FOOD. For all your Californians there is food at the Midwestern fair that you have never heard of before! Examples of these odd concoctions are "Elephant Ears" "Deep Fried Pizza" "Deep Fried Pepsi" and "Ribbon Fries". All of these delicacies are deep fried in case you were curious to know. TJ and I decided to try the most appetizing ones and rate them.
FIRST CONTENDER: ELEPHANT EAR
Definition: Deep fried dough with butter and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top.
Cost: $4.00
Deliciousness: 9
When I asked the Elephant Ear maker what exactly an Elephant Ear was she quickly retorted "Where are you from???" I guess my California was showing. The Elephant ear was mighty tasty. It reminded me of a flat doughnut. I would definitely get another one next year...and make TJ get his own.
Definition: 1 deep fried snickers bar, 1 deep fried peanut butter cup, and 2 deep fried Oreos
Cost: $7.00
Deliciousness: 6
We were surprised how these turned out. We were anticipating crunchy almost French fry like desserts but this was more like pancake batter fried to a soft crunchy texture. But it worked out well because I wanted to try the deep fried Oreos and TJ wanted the deep fried snickers bar. In the end I like the Oreos the best and the peanut butter cup second. TJ really liked the peanut butter cup and chose the snickers as his second favorite. We agreed this is more a "try it once" kind of deal. We've now been there and done that.

OREO
PEANUT BUTTER CUP
Definition: Deep fried dough topped with pizza sauce and parmesan cheese
Cost: $5.00
Deliciousness: 2
I had imaged deep fried pizza as a slice of pizza lightly battered and fried...like a pizza roll or a calzone. But this was not the case. The dough or pizza "crust" was like the same dough used for Elephant Ears but with sauce and cheese. You didn't even have a choice of adding pepperoni or sausage. TJ liked this more than I did. I think that the sauce and cheese were just out of cans which good pizza is not made of! I did like the fried crust, and surprisingly TJ didn't. This was the only SAVORY item we bought and it was pretty disappointing. I would not recommend this to a fellow fair go-er.

DEEP FRIED PIZZA

FOURTH CONTENDER: CHEESECAKE ON A STICK
Definition: A slice of New York cheesecake on a stick and dipped in chocolate
Cost: $3.50
Deliciousness: 8.5
TJ and I agreed this was by far the best bang for your buck. We were expecting 3 small balls of cheesecake on a stick but this really was a WHOLE SLICE of cheesecake on a stick! It was very tasty but this was also the last thing we tried to consume at the fair. We were pretty full when we got it but figured that since it was the cheapest thing we had encountered we should give it a try...and we couldn't have ended our first fair trip with crappy pizza!


TJ was very full at this point! It shows. Overall we had a wonderful time! We were shocked to see that very few people were at the fair, as it was a free day. We both had heard rumors of long lines at food stands and the lack of places to sit and enjoy food. This was not the case for us. The turnout was bleak...probably because of the threat of rain. But we had wonderful weather! It was mostly sunny and breezy, not a drop of rain! 





3 comments:
Your post educated me on a number of things. But what the heck is "deep fried Pepsi"?
UT
TJ and I thought deep fried pepsi would be like an pepsi ice cube battered and fried...something along the lines of fried ice cream. I asked the vendor what exactly it was and it's just a ball of dough, fried, and injected with pepsi. Sounds like deep fried dough with pepsi huh?! Maybe we'll try it next year!
I love this write-up with the rating system and pics.
In my experience, deep frying something isn't always a good idea. If I ever tried a deep fried Oreo, I would probably find myself just wishing I had a regular Oreo, since Oreos are already so good to begin with! That said, deep fried turkey is pretty delicious.
Post a Comment