Many people have asked me "What is dim sum?" It's like Chinese tapas where you get appetizer size portions of food but also have a long list of choices to pick from. Dim sum is traditional served until noon at restaurants in China and consists mainly of steamed and fried dishes. At most restaurants dim sum is placed on various carts and the customer is shown various items on the cart for purchase and simply takes what is desired from the cart. What's nice about dim sum is that you see everything before you buy it and consume it quickly thereafter. So if something doesn't look appetizing you don't buy it.
Above: Left: Steamed Shrimp Balls (one of my faves) Top: Char Siu Bao (sounds like Chow Say Bow) Steamed buns with bbq pork inside (TJ's favorite!) Bottom Right: Stuffed fried tofu
Above: Left: Steamed Shrimp Balls (one of my faves) Top: Char Siu Bao (sounds like Chow Say Bow) Steamed buns with bbq pork inside (TJ's favorite!) Bottom Right: Stuffed fried tofu
Above: Taro root deep fried...yummI was introduced to dim sum when I was 6 or so by my parents on a trip to "The City" San Francisco. I never liked dim sum growing up, probably because I didn't like fish or shrimp. My little brother and I would ONLY eat the Char Siu Bao and my little brother wouldn't even eat the filling. It was just this year my parents insisted they take TJ and I to dim sum so TJ could experience it when I had a revelation! I LOVED EVERYTHING! I was quickly converted back on team dim sum and thoroughly enjoyed it. Recently TJ and I found one small Chinese restaurant on the West side of Indy that serves wonderful dim sum. This is definitely a treat for us! If you ever travel to San Francisco I HIGHLY recommend you go to dim sum in China Town and participate in the real dim sum experience...it's like you're in Hong Kong.


2 comments:
Tapas are the best! Smaller portions and sharing = the chance to try more things. There is a great Spanish/American tapas place in Gainesville. I've never had dim sum but I will be looking into it.
In Houston we have a huge Chinatown...the street signs are even in Chinese over English.
We go into Houston often to eat Dim Sum. Chas even eats Fried Chicken Feet. I like the Soy Bean with Honey/Ginger Sauce dessert. I also like the Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce. And yellow steam cake is good too.
I'm addicted to pork dumplings in soy sauce...I can eat two containers of them by myself. Chas likes the shrimp balls and fried tofu also. And we always get a container of the steam buns with bbq pork too.
Hmmm, now I'm hungry for Dim Sum!
Post a Comment