Thursday, January 8, 2009

what the hell happened in Oakland????

Just when I thought Oakland was becoming a safer place....THIS HAPPENS! If you're not familiar with this story on New Years Eve a bunch of young black men were removed from a BART train for fighting that was coming from San Francisco's Embarcadero to Oakland and Alameda. Witnesses claim that the men were being cooperative and obeying the officer's orders, and the BART police began physically beating the suspects. Just seconds later one BART police office jumped on top of one of the men laying flat on the ground and shot him in the back. The man died later at a local hospital (a REALLY ghetto hospital too). Now I'm not really sure who to believe. The woman who took one set of footage says that the men were wrongfully beaten and the one man was wrongfully shot. However throughout the video you see men aggressively approaching the police officers. The video is below if you'd like to see it. It's pretty intense.



Now I myself have been to the Embarcadero on New Years Eve and it is pure madness. But the majority of the madness takes place on the trip back home on BART. The one time I went I witness a BUM fight (yes two dirty, gross, homeless people fist fighting), and a cat fight between two girls fighting over a guy (yes it got physical), and that was just in ONE CAR on ONE TRAIN (And a mild train going to Berkeley...) BART can definitely be a scary place, I rode BART for more than two hours a day everyday for two years just to get to school. It is by far the most reliable and convenient means of transportation in the Bay Area but seriously security needs to be taken into account. I was always fearful some acid tripping hippie would try and pull some shit on me, it never happened but some of the looks people gave me made it feel like a serious possibility. As much as I miss home its incidents like these that remind me why I left. The Bay's ghetto is GROWING RAPIDLY. Ever since my parents were robbed at GUNPOINT in their favorite Albany Sushi restaurant I've told them to move. Oakland's ghetto spirit is encroaching into the friendly, happy, and peacefully towns like Albany all around the Bay Area....and it's totally a shame. The next governor better crack down on violent crimes and criminals like no other. And no it's not a race thing....it's a safety thing.

0 comments: