Today is the 20 year anniversary of the Loma Prieta Earthquake that took place right in my home town. I was 3 when it happened and I can easily say this is the earliest memory I have. I remember my mother was outside pulling weeds in our backyard and I was sitting with my brother on the floor watching Sesame Street. Then everything started moving and Sesame Street turned into snow. Robby was screaming, he was almost 2 at the time, and I tried to console him but nothing would work. I remember my mom FREAKING out too. Probably because my dad was more than a bridge away.
It was so interesting surfing through youtube and finding all the 80's coverage of the earthquake, below are some of my favorites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecg3n377zbI
Watch the youtube clip its unbelievable
This seriously traumatized me for LIFE! I remember the 5 and 10 year anniversary montage they played on the news and the bridge footage totaly scared me!
The falling of the Cyprus highway...notice that the top part COLLAPSED onto the bottom.
This is the news report after the quake
And that was just in Santa Cruz about an 1 1/2 hour south!
Good to know the stadium is pretty safe
Saturday, October 17, 2009
20 Years Later the Loma Prieta Earthquake: My Earliest Memory
Posted by
Kristin
at
2:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Is this the quake that hit a few minutes before the start of the World Series game?
I was watching the pregame show on TV and suddenly the stadium began to shake, but amazingly there were no casualties at the ball park.
Post a Comment