Saturday, September 6, 2008

The WORST Weekend

I know how important it is to have bi-yearly teeth cleaning and I knew that I was over due, not by much but still over due. I had a cleaning in January and I decided I should find a new dentist and get my second cleaning here in Indiana before the wedding so my teeth would be extra sparkly. I went to the dentist on Thursday to have my routine cleaning.

Unfortunately the dentist said I had a cavity and needed to have it filled. He also said I needed FOUR crowns to strengthen my front teeth, two of which of had root canals (I got smashed in the face a few times in middle school during Volleyball that caused trauma in my mouth). He quoted me a bill…AFTER insurance at over 5 grand (my house down payment gone). I talked it over with my mom and dad and they suggested that I just have the cavity filled and fast since my insurance provided by my mom would expire after the wedding (which is in 8 DAYS). Plus my new government insurance won’t begin covering me until December.

So I had the cavity filled Friday but only more bad news loomed. The dentist said he had hit the nerve and that I had a 50/50 chance of needing ANOTHER root canal. Not an hour after I left the office my tooth starting hurting. It was a horrible shock of pain that was becoming more and more frequent. I called the dentist and he, of course, had left for the day (being Friday and all). I had to beg the secretary to call him and have him prescribe me an Rx for some pain killers because there was no way I could survive the weekend on Advil. He called in a sweet Rx for vicodin but he confirmed I probably needed a root canal. Here’s yet another dilemma, my insurance is running out in about a week and I start my new job Monday and I can’t take time off work to have this all done. Luckily there’s an endodontist willing to work with my schedule and said he could perform the root canal Monday evening. Dilemma #2, this all costs hella money. I had no idea that insurance paid so little, and being an adult (which totally sucks), I have to pick up the bill….not my mommy and daddy.

I’ve never felt more like an adult in my life. Shelling out big bucks for torture instead of fun or a house is NOT cool. It’s so depressing to think that I’m going to have to give up my hard earned cash to pay for overpriced crowns and dental work….but what can you do????

2 comments:

Kimber said...

I'm really glad I never played volleyball now...that sucks!

Anonymous said...

5 Gs on dental work?! Yikes.
If it makes you feel any better with any luck you should have your teeth for the rest of your life. Which is a much better investment than a large screen TV or whatever else you might have used the money for.

U T