Friday, July 18, 2008

Perhaps The Strangest Day Ever…

6:40am: TJ leaves for work, and what do you know, his car doesn’t start. Mind you we spent $200 YESTERDAY to have it fixed (no joke). TJ then takes my car to work.

7-8am: I called the auto shop and had a talk with them about the car, they told me to have it towed in again and they won’t charge me to look at it again. So I called AAA and had them tow it back to the shop. Respond to a few emails including one from Andrew.

8am: Andrew calls and gives me the most uplifting news of the day! He, Karen and one of his contacts, Lisa, are going to look over my resume and cover letter and provide me with insight to making these crucial documents stronger than the competition. MANY THANKS!

9:00am: Lisa calls and talks about an open position she may have that sounds very promising. She is incredibly friendly and willing to help me improve my resume and job searching skills. Lisa you rock.

10:00am: Bad news, auto shop calls me back and TJ’s car needs an additional $700 repair. I tell them there’s no way we’re investing in that “car” and after a slight negotiation they agree to refund me $100 in the form of a store credit because of the un-thorough inspection that led to an unnecessary repair. I began calling selvedge yards looking to find out how much TJs junker is worth….only a couple of bucks!

10:30am: I noticed that there was a huge moving van in front of the complex and there are lots of men in my neighbor’s apartment. At this point I’m not quite sure if they’re moving them and their 6 kids out or if these guys are robbing them.

11:00am: Take a much needed shower and venture off to get a much needed treat (LUNCH). Vee, my favorite Thai/Chinese food cook asks me why I’m now walking to his restaurant. I informed him of my bad luck with cars. He’s then quick to ask what I do for a living, “I’m currently unemployed” I told him. He, being the wonderful guy he is, rebuts with an idea that he knows a guy that works for the local news station and thinks he might know of a few openings. I left him with my name and number and thanked him for his help.

11:30am: I get home to find the movers still tearing through the neighbor’s place. A cop or sheriff looking guy said “we’re moving out your neighbors”. I said “Oh that’s too bad they were such nice people!” which was a total lie they had 6 of the most obnoxious annoying kids I’ve ever heard. The cop looking guy equipped with a badge and huge gun replied “well they didn’t pay their rent”. Daaaaaamn! And that guy that lived there was a sheriff!

11:45am: The dude that works at the TV station calls me and talks to me about what he does and what the station does. He probably spent a good 15 minuets talking to me about everything related to the television industry. He was so nice and gave me three or four contacts including names and numbers.

All these kind people are rare encounters for me! I guess we Hoosiers gotta stick together!

12:00pm: I get an email from a decent paying government job stating that I’m a potential candidate for an interview but I must fill out a few extra forms including these questions below:
1. “Write a procedure that accurately describes a specific task related to either your current position or a past position. The procedure should be brief, but clear.”
2. “Please describe a situation where you had a disagreement with a co-worker, and how you resolved it.”

I plan on submitting the info, but I’m not sure how to answer these vague questions. Any suggestions?

12:30pm AND BEYOND: Going to rummage through TJ’s car (hoping to strike gold of course), drive to Muncie spend tonight and tomorrow with in-laws, then a wedding dress alteration appointmen with a wonderful woman Linda Dauge….THEN WHO KNOWS WHAT?!?!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a shame about TJ's car. I heard it served him well for a few years and that the two of you listened to a Bon Jovi song a long time ago........

Kimber said...

I'm glad things are getting better for you. Just keep swimming...

(I hope you like the movie Finding Nemo and understand what I mean by that)