I’ve got another tough pickle on my hands. Should I go to culinary school??? Or should I get a job???? I’ve wanted to go to cooking school for a while and learn how to make sauces and really yummy meals. But I also could fulfill my dream of becoming a Food Network Chef and star in Dorm Room Dining!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve looked at two programs thus far.
Program One: is located about an hour away from where TJ and I live North West of Indy. This program is with the Art Institute of Indianapolis that offers two programs, an AA Degree in culinary arts and a certificate of culinary arts. The Degree costs around $85,000 and the certificate $20,000. BUT they’re hiring, and in a few areas I wouldn’t mind working. If I was hired with them I COULD GO TO CULINARY SCHOOL FOR FREE. But I would only be able to take 2 classes a week.
PRO: Possibly free
CON: Really freakin’ far away which =’s lots of GAS MONEY
Program Two: is located downtown very near TJ’s new job, which means we could commute the twenty minuets together everyday. This program is part of the Indiana Business College. It’s $35,000 for a whole AA program including everything from parking to books to the uniform, but the cost would be slightly less since I already have a Bachelors Degree and don’t need to repeat crappy GE classes for culinary school. The classes at this school are less appealing, most of them have to do with managing a kitchen and a restaurant. I frankly just want to learn how to cook.
PRO: Close to where TJ already works, pretty cheap for a 80 weeks program
CON: Not nearly as interesting as the other program.
I’m very torn. TJ and I have goals set to spend his paycheck and save mine and put all that money towards a nice house. If I go to culinary school that could really detract from our lives at home and our goals. But I figure if I want to do it, now’s the time; I’ll never be this young in this limminal stage again. I guess I can tell TJ kids will have to wait another ten years….and trust me that’s OK with me!!!
THOUGHTS ANYONE??!?!?!?!?!?
***UPDATE***
I just applied to the job at the Art Institute, the first program where if I'm hired I can take classes for FREE!!!

2 comments:
Program número uno! Live life while you're still young! I've got another PRO: you can cook delicious meals for Jenni when you come to visit :)
I saw that is actually costs around $50,000 for an AA degree. They have part-time job fairs to make sure those that want jobs can get them. All jobs will accomodate your schedule.
It is an awesome place with great instructors and a nationwide name that is known throughout North America.
Post a Comment